Re: [TowerTalk] HOIST BELTS

To: "TOMMY HALIBURTON" <ROCKETJ10@MSN.COM>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HOIST BELTS
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:51:30 -0500
At 12:09 PM 9/11/2005, TOMMY HALIBURTON wrote:
>To All,
>
>Does anyone have a source for the nylon/synthetic belts one uses for
>hoisting purposes? I am about to raise my antenna and a couple of
>the belts would be quite handy. Thanks for any assistance,
>
>Semper Fi,
>
>Tommy - K6YE

Assuming you mean nylon slings there are a lot of options.  I even saw some on
sale on Tractor Supply Company the other day.

Another way to make one in a pinch is to buy bulk nylon webbing from places
like REI for mountain climbing.  There is a pretty standard and simple knot
to make these a full circle.  I use this type all of the
time.  Standard stuff is
only one inch wide but they also stock two inch stuff if you want to spread out
the forces a bit more.   While you are at REI you should pick up some
carabiners
as well.  They are very handy.   I use a lot of the loops all of the
time.  Everything
from a foot long to six feet long (for going around booms when lifting.

http://www.rei.com/category/4500002.htm?cm_re=toc*1*hardware&vcat=REI_SSHP_CLIMBING_TOC#climbing_hardware

Hope the reflector does not chop this URL up too badly.   If so then
just go to
http://www.rei.com/shop/Climbing.htm  and  CLICK  on  HARDWARE

Another way to make them is to use the nylon straps from truck load
tie down straps.
I damaged a couple of the ratchet straps when the only place to attach them had
them around some sharp metal parts.  I cut them at the nicked spot and used
the long tails for making sling "loops" and the remaining ratchet with shorter
strap is still very useful.

Actually just making a few slings from dacron or nylon rope can be very handy
in a pinch.  I always save my rope tails in case I need them for
tieing down loads
or as slings.

Lots of other options -- just bring up a few in case you are in a
bind to do something
without waiting to order them.

--John