[TowerTalk] re Weedwacker line

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] re Weedwacker line
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:04:29 +0000
Is there something wrong with plain old black dacron? I'm wondering if there's some news about it I haven't heard yet.

This being TowerTalk, and I'm sure most of you guys have towers, and a tower means a few thousand bucks invested in antennas at least, I'm sure 20 bucks for some dacron isn't gg to kill you.

Weed Wacker may be okay for field day, but for something I hope will stay up for awhile (remember ICE, that frozen stuff in the winter?), I'd prefer to spend a few bucks and find other things to worry about.

rob/k5uj

<<<<<I've used carpenter's line (the colored stuff) that you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. As I recall you get 500 some feet for a few bucks. It's gets a little stiff in 4-5 years but none of it has broken yet. I use it to support the ends of wire antennas.

73, Stew K3ND>>>>>

mlux@earthlink.net> wrote:

At 07:18 PM 9/12/2005, Hal Kennedy wrote:
>Anyone try weed whacker line for holding up wire
antennas?  The stuff is
>tough and cheap - comes in 1,000 ft rolls.  Suspect
it may not hold up to UV
>too well however.  I plan to put out a few test
pieces with mechanical loads
>on them and see how they fair - unless someone has
the answer.