Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor Bolt Grade Suitable for Tower Base?

To: <k2xx@swva.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor Bolt Grade Suitable for Tower Base?
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:34:31 -0400
Were it me, I'd purchase "J-Bolts" of at least grade 5.

Of course the best bet is to have an engineering study done, or just
calculate the loads to see just what the stress will be on the bolts at the
base plate and go accordingly.

I think you will find that the "common threaded rod" is far softer than
Grade 5.
My experience with the common threaded rod is it rusts easily, but I've
never used it on a baseplate.

If you go to a place such as prime fastener they can give you the
differences between the different types of bolt.  I've also looked them up
on the net, but don't remember the URL.

Good Luck,

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com