Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?
From: "Brian Smithson" <n8wrl@att.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:43:52 -0400
I thought so too. I have an antenna controller that I built based on a
microcontroller but it understands multiple antennas for the
same band, remembers the last antenna I was on when I return to a band, and
sends commands to an ACOM amp to 'tune' it for that band
without having to key up. I was lucky enough to have it published in NCJ a few
years back.

I'm working on a new version of basically the same thing that can take band
data input from four radios with the selected radio
indicated by a signal from a 'NCS Multiswitcher' that I have. The idea is to
have antenna selection come with all the same logic
before but band data multiplexed based on audio/key/mic selections made on the
multiswitcher.

For me it's a fun learning experience because I'm a software guy by training so
the home-brew hardware stuff is the challenge. It's
also fun to write software for something with only a thousand bytes of RAM.

The article is still good for me though - I get some ideas on line conditioning.

73!

-Brian n8wrl