[TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:39:54 +0100 (BST)
I just have to come back on this one....

(1) I do not think that the article was particularly
well written, but didn't see any significant technical
inaccuracies. For example, there was a long
explanation of Hyperterminal and virtually nothing
about the coding;
(2) I agree that it is pretty pointless replicating
already available digital band information in a very
complicated way;
(3) It seems to be a rather poor design decision to
make the device actively poll the radio, when passive
listening should work perfectly, be simpler, and avoid
interaction with other programs - although the unit
would then need an active logging program to work at
all - and that logging program may well have a band
information output;
(4) The Icom band switching output has the severe
limitations pointed out in the article, and looking at
the CI-V line is (in my opinion) a better way to go;
(5) It would be extremely simple to add another 3
outputs, and not very difficult to add a lot more. I
think it was a mistake to design a unit specific to
the MFJ antenna switch when the remainder of the
design was generic;
(6) I thought his frequency selection algorithm was
pretty neat!

I could go on, and so could most of us, but the fact
remains that he did take the trouble to design the
unit and he did take the trouble to write an article
which is beyond the simplistic. For that I am
grateful.

73 Roger
VE3ZI