Re: [TowerTalk] Centre Insulator - fiberglass or Garolite rod

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Centre Insulator - fiberglass or Garolite rod
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:03:33 -0400
Jim Advised:

<<I've used it <Garolite>, and many other similar products.  The problem
with machining is that it's made of glass fibers, which are harder than
steel, and so, cause your steel cutting tools to go dull instantly. (just
like drilling or cutting fiberglass or glass-epoxy circuit boards)
Interestingly, though, regular old aluminum oxide sandpaper works quite well
(alumina being harder than glass).  Carbide works too. Coarse grit, lots of
water to carry away the dust, chuck it up in the lathe and have at
it...snip...>>

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the extra info. I'll bet the dust is hazardous, too!

How does Garolite stand up to UV?

--...MARK_N1LO...--