Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Lubricating air variable capacitors

To: "TowerTalk" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Lubricating air variable capacitors
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:50:02 -0400
For what it's worth, I've used WD40 for many many years on
all sorts of things (capacitors, sticking shaft bushings,
poor connections in very low current switches like meter
switches) and never had a problem.

You have to be careful to avoid contacts that have high
current and voltage when switching, like relays or power
switches (they should be dry), but IMO it does a good job on
sticky bushings and shafts and even nasty rotary switch
contacts. I wouldn't worry at all about using a little bit
right into the bearing of an air variable. I'd just be
careful to not rinse out the original grease, and use the
WD40 to soften it up a bit.

I know about the warnings. I'm just relaying my experience.
When I have the first problem, I might change my opinion.
For the past 20 years or whatever it has been ok for me as a
quick fix.

73 Tom