Re: [TowerTalk] Lubricating air variable capacitors

To: "Tod - ID" <tod@k0to.us>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lubricating air variable capacitors
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 17:12:56 -0700
At 04:23 PM 10/2/2005, Tod - ID wrote:
>Jim:
>

> > WD-40 is not a lubricant.
> >

>As I understand it WD-40 is very similar to a light weight diesel fuel. I am
>sure it is a petroleum based product. I would have expected it to have some
>lubricating properties . Could you or someone on this list expand on this to
>give me an idea of the WD-40 limitations.

Well..I may have spoken a bit strongly. It IS a lubricant, after a fashion.
It's slippery, and the mfr advertises it as lubricating.  However, it seems
to be quite volatile. That is, spray WD40 on something and after a month or
so, it doesn't seem to have much of a coating on it. Probably just enough
to prevent corrosion. I'm not sure which property I'm talking about..
perhaps surface tension, or goopyness, or clingyness.  It also is very
effective at dissolving oil and grease out of a bearing.

It's probably fine as a lubricant if regularly reapplied.  In a long
duration application (like a bushing in a capacitor), I think you'd want
something with a lower vapor pressure, longer chains, or whatever it is
that makes oil stay in a bearing.

Here's a usenet post about it:
http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html