Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Dennis O'Connor" <k8do@mailblocks.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Elevated vertical
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:05:25 -0400

> Elevated radials SHOULD have the feedpoint decoupled through
> a common mode choke. if you ground the radial common point
> is causes increased loss as well as current on the feedline
> shield.

How would you go about this with an antenna like the AV-640 which has a
built in tuning network that is grouneded.  Isolate the entire antenna from
the tower, feed it through a choke, and atach the radials to the bottom of
the antenna where it would normally atach to the mast driven into the
ground?

In this case isolating the antenna from the tower is not going to be easy.
It's only 32 feet, but difficult to get at with *stuff* on the 100' tower
being much easter to work on.

73

Roger (K8RI)