Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex LM470 cables (was Lift cable, Galva Steel,vs. Sta

To: "Julio Peralta" <jperalta@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex LM470 cables (was Lift cable, Galva Steel,vs. Stainless)
From: "k0dan" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:21:20 -0500
Julio, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

My original post was not clear or accurate enough.

I'm looking at a drawing from the manual (page 46) and if memory serves me
right, what happened was a problem with the raising cable (which you
correctly state only runs from the winch to a pulley on top of the bottom
section, and then around the pulley to the bottom of the second lowest
section. That cable developed some slack, slipped off the pulley at the top
of the lower section, and eventually got pinched and broke.

Lucikly I noticed the breakage right when it happened, and the tower
sections did not telescope downward...they were still held in place by the
pulldown cable. I was able to cautiously retract the tower sections, release
all tension on the cables, and replace the broken cable.

So in my fortunate case, there was some redundancy, however as you and
others have stated, the entire structure is not fully redundant, and a
failure of some of the other cables could have catastrophic results.

I have received other comments that my current slack problem (pulldown cable
develops several inches of slack when tower is apporx 75%-100% extended)
could be the result of the drum being compressed from heavy loading of the
tower and/or different size wire being used for the pullup and pulldown
cables. I need to do further analysis of these comments. I suspect the cable
sizes may be slightly different...I replaced the broke cable with a NOS
cable I had on hand from Tri-Ex, and while they look the same, I haven't
measured them and it could be they don;'t match.

I need to get some free time to get out there and inspect, analyze, replace,
repair.

Thanks again for your comments.

73,

Dan