Re: [TowerTalk] Great balls on wire

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <donovanf@starpower.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Great balls on wire
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:12:59 -0700
At 03:44 AM 10/7/2005, Tom Rauch wrote:
> > Look at modern car radio antennas for an example.
>

>My car antennas are wrapped because they are fiberglass.
>Reception is terrible without the wire on the outside of the
>non-metallic core.
>
>When they were stainless they weren't wrapped.

It's also to suppress the wind induced vibrations on the thicker cross
section and the lower stiffness. There's some company that actually has the
patent on the technique (might have expired by now)

I haven't seen any analysis of the field expedient car antennas made from
unbent coat hangers.
(now there's a senior project for someone.. numerical modeling and field
measurements..)