Re: [TowerTalk] No Tower!

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] No Tower!
From: "Tim Makins" <tim.ei8ic@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:34:13 +0100
From: "Mike Harris" <mike.harris@horizon.co.fk>
To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 12:42 AM

> G'day all, ...<snip>...
>  On and off over the years I have used 8 metre tall telephone poles (looks
> natural) with brackets to hold an aly pole extension up to approx 10
> metres agl.  Will hold a small beam, inverted V's, inverted L's etc.  Only
> needs an easy to dig 1.5 metre deep hole, just put everything you dig out
> back in the hole along with the pole, sounds odd but it is easily done
> with a hand rammer and is rock solid.

Hi Mike  - thanks for the input. This is something that I have done as well
for mounting a 15m ele beam, and it has lasted a number of years with no
problems at all. I hinge the pole at the bottom by drilling a hole and
mounting it on a bit of thick studding. With the aid of an temporary pole
and pulley, the whole can be raised and lowered single handedly. I'll try
and take some photos next time the beam comes down for maintenance.

73s Tim EI8IC
http://www.mapability.com/ei8ic/
Have you tried the free IOTA bearing and distance tool?

PS I hope they've fixed the hospital wall in Port Stanley now. I was staying
there (broken ankle in the Antarctic) just after the events of 1982, and was
surprised to see the wall covered in 100s of pieces of black insulating
tape. I asked why they were there, and was told they were stopping the wind
coming through bullet holes!