Re: [TowerTalk] Pole Pig Transformer wiring

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pole Pig Transformer wiring
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 14:04:48 -0000
That sounds about normal. The relatively small wire bonding the secondary
neutral, pig shell, and probably all the other hardware to the line return
wire and then down to a ground rod has a couple purposes, none related to
actually delivering you power...  First that wire keeps all the hardware at
the same potential.  This prevents stray voltage pickup on the hardware from
damaging the pole, and any lineman that may be working on it!  Second it
provides a return path to blow the primary breaker/fuse if there is a fault
in the transformer or a dropped wire or anything else that would put the
primary voltage on the service drop or other hardware.  Also by bonding
everything together (including guy wires if used) they prevent stray voltage
between someone standing on the ground and any exposed ground level
hardware... the so called 'step' and 'touch' potentials.  And finally
bonding all the hardware also prevents rfi from stray voltages causing
corona or arcing on the pole.

One important thing... The ground rod at the pole can not be assumed to
provide an adequate return path to replace the neutral in the triplex wire
to the house entrance.  The resistance through the ground, even with a large
ground system at the house, just isn't low enough to be a decent return
path.  As anyone who has had that neutral fail knows, all sorts of bad
things happen if that happens... including equipment damage and even fires,
and the circuit breakers in the house will not protect you from it!

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net