Re: [TowerTalk] Wire size for 800 meter long wire

To: <k1ttt@arrl.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire size for 800 meter long wire
From: "Barry Merrill" <barry@mxg.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:32:10 -0500
Run these specs through your nomographs...
12 ga insulated copperweld at 22 lbs per 1000' with a breaking strength of
900lbs
==> Tension would be 220 pounds; how the heck can I haul this up without
come-alongs,etc?

or 10 ga insulated copperweld at 35 lbs per 1000' with a breaking strength of
1231lbs
==> Tension would be 325 pounds; even heavier load.

and in both cases, that 24% and 26% of breaking strength.

The book had 10%, and said the tension could be raised to 15%, but your
suggesting that double that tension is still reasonable?

But it's those big tension values that are going to play havoc
with the four foot fence post on the other side of the bluff!

Is there any wire thats small and strong, so I can have both
acceptable sag and an antenna I can handle without winches?

73

Barry, W5GN