[TowerTalk] Rookie Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rookie Question
From: "Al Zelna" <mr.mri@epix.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:52:35 -0400
Hello list,

I am the proud owner of a newly erected/resurrected 45' galvanized tower,
Mosley TA-33, Ham-M rotor and vintage CDR rotor controller (brown bakelite
housing).  I completed this project just in time for the PA QSO Party this
past weekend.  The problem and question surrounds the rotor.

I tested the rotor and controller in the shack before going up and it worked
fine.  I used approx 75' of small gauge cable that came with the package.
The distance from tower-top back to the shack is 213'.  Small gauge cable
was out of the question, so I purchased 225' of Tex Com R84 (2x12ga 6x16ga)
rotor cable from Texas Towers.  I am told the cable will handle a 300' max
run.

The long and short of it is the rotor does not turn.  I can't even hear the
brake click!  The soldered ring-terminals are connected properly to the
rotor and controller.  Although I have yet to check continuity. and I
realize this could certainly be the problem, I wonder about the motor
starter cap in the controller being the culprit.

Does anyone have advice regarding the controller or cap?

Thanks,

Al, N3KAE