[TowerTalk] LM-470 Tilt Winch Question

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LM-470 Tilt Winch Question
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:25:40 -0400
About a year ago, I changed the original tilt winch on my LM-470 from
the original Fulton 1550 to the heavier duty Fulton 2550.  In making the
replacement, I essentially duplicated the cable arrangement on the
original. The cable comes down over the front of the drum in front of
the spacer bar through the lower pulley and is connected to the front
leg of the tower.  When I turn the handle in the CW direction to raise
the tower from horizontal to vertical, the drum also turns CW and the
cable winds onto the drum with the ratchet engaged.  It works fine and
there is no contact of the cable with the drive shaft or the spacer bar.

I recently acquired another 470 but it was manufactured by a different
manufacturer.  It also came with a 2550 tilt winch, but the gears on
this winch are arranged differently and when the handle is turned CW,
the drum turns CCW with the ratchet engaged.  The cable on this winch is
wound on the drum so that it goes down over the back of the drum.
Consequently when raising the tower , the cable winds onto the drum from
the back of the drum in a CCW rotation with the ratchet engaged.  The
problem is that the cable rubs against the drive shaft.

I would like to orient the cable in the same way as the first tower to
avoid the contact with the shaft.  The Fulton instructions strongly
advise that the ratchet must be engaged when pulling or raising the
load.  It looks like if I remove and reverse the orientation of the
ratchet tooth relative to the gear, I can have the ratchet engage when
the drum turns CW, but I'm not sure.

I'd appreciate any advice on this problem.

73, Joe
K2XX