[TowerTalk] 80M antenna suggestion

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna suggestion
From: "Richard W. Harris" <Richard_Harris@byu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:59:57 -0600
Hi,
I finally finished my 160M shunt-fed tower antenna and it works superbly.  Lots
of work but I think it will be worth it.  I want to thank all those that gave
me suggestions for this antenna.

My next project is to get an antenna for 80M.  I have been investigating
several options and want any feedback regarding them.  To summarize my setup so
far - I have a single 72 foot 4-section US Towers crankup tower with a
12-element 7-band Sommer antenna for 10M through 40M at about 75 feet.  I also
have, of course, the 160M shunt-fed antenna on this tower.  I have large (60-70
foot) cottonwood trees about 75-85 feet to the west of my tower and my home
(about 30 feet above ground) about 75 feet to the east.  I have 56 ground
radials totalling about 5000 feet of wire radiating from the tower for the 160M
shunt-fed antenna.  I have two " conduits underground from my tower to my shack
to run any coax and control cables.  I also have a K9AY loop for 80m/160m
receive about 80 feet to the southwest of my tower.

I have been looking at the following for 80M: a) inverted-V, b) inverted-L, c)
Delta loop  for 80M.  I can attach a 3-4 foot standoff on my tower at the top
of any of the sections to attach any of these three antennas.  My question is
do you  have any suggestions as to which of the three antennas (or any other
you feel might be better) I might have the best luck with on this tower for
80M? Also, for any of these you might recommend what suggestions for coupling
the coax to the antenna.  Do I need a balun or direct connection?

Thanks much for your generous help,
Richard - KJ7CU