[TowerTalk] CATS RD1800

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CATS RD1800
From: "Chuck Tifft" <ctifft@bis.midco.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 00:05:58 -0600
I just received a new RD1800-Y. Yaesu version. I wonder if anyone has had
trouble with these units not tracking correctly with the Yaesu Controller. The
RD1800 has a 1K pot and the Yaesu is designed for a 500 ohm. I had to
experiment with a parallel resistor on pins 1and 3 of the controller to get the
tracking acceptable. Now for the big problem, I have a Tristao CZ-471 tower, it
has a 12.5 inch top section same as a US Tower TX series. I have yet to find a
way to get the RD1800 into the top section. Looks like it will be OK once I get
it inside. (If I can). I don't really want to bend or certainly not cut any
braces. I would probably be willing to bend a brace or 2 if I really thought
that would do it, but I don't think so. I tried coming up through the bottom of
the section, but the extra braces there seem to rule that out as well. I even
thought about taking the case off of it. The older 1800's appear to have had a
2 piece case which may have allowed weaving it around the
 braces with one half of the case removed, but the new series has a one piece
case. Has anybody out there put one of these in a similar tower?
Tnx
Chuck
W6RD