[TowerTalk] Telescopic tower from Westower, info needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Telescopic tower from Westower, info needed
From: Jon Dahl <jdahl@broadpark.no>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:31:03 +0100
At our Radioclub LA2AB we have a Westower type 3XHD (extra heavy duty 3
sections telescoping triangular mast).
It was bought about 20 years ago from Western Electronics (UK)ltd in Louth.
This tower is abt 109 feet(33m) tall. It is guied in 3 hights.
We have just mounted a full size 3 el. 40m beam made by swedish Cue.Dee
Antennas on the topsection
with an heavy duty italian rotator.
Winshing up this topload is not easy and we are vorried about overloading the
US autobraked Fulton model K1000 winsh used. So far we have only managed to
lift the beam up to abt 21 meters.
The more layers on the winsh-drum the heavier it is to crank up of course.
Also:
In the manual we do not find any info of the weight of the towersections AND
how much the steel-wire used
can take before breaking.
The UK company seems to be gone, at least we have not been able to find anybody
to ask.
All info about solving our problems as indicated.
73
Jon/LA8WF