Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding, Can this be?

To: ersmar@comcast.net, Gary.Stone@med.va.gov,donhall161@sbcglobal.net, chilesp@adelphia.net,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding, Can this be?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 07:03:27 -0500
Count me as another dissenter. My 97 feet of Rohn 25G has stacked tribanders at
97 and 69 feet, a shorty 40 at 104, and a 4-element 80m dipole array hung off
it, with the feedlines coming in to the tower at about 30 feet above ground.
The guy wires are insulated from the tower, and the top set is Phillystran.
The middle set have 21-foot power pole insulators at their inner end, and the
bottom set are insulated with a single jonny-ball about 3 feet from the tower.

I had zero luck feeding this critter with a classic shunt feed - series cap
only.  Then I tried an omega match, and was able to get a 1:1 match at 1830
within minutes.  Whatever impedance the 50-foot tap point represents, the omega
was able to match it.  I suppose if it is quite low then efficiency is probably
impaired, but it does seem to work - 75 countries on 160 to date, and WAC.

73, Pete N4ZR