Re: [TowerTalk] Sommer antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com, foxbw@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sommer antennas
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:22:45 EST

In a message dated 11/18/2005 9:03:22 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  Hi, does anybody on the list have a Sommer XP504 or  XP704 with the 40M
option?

    Just my two cents worth. I don't own one and  haven't used one but my
baseline is what contesters are using. They know what  works and doesn't work
and
typically are on the leading edge of performance. I  don't know of any
serious contesters that are using Sommer antennas.

    Also they have LOTS of parts, connections and  electrical joints - more
parts than a KT34XA I think. Anyway, I think they're  way more complicated than
necessary.

    I'd suggest a triband SteppIR and CC 2L 40 for a  more effective set-up.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Cell: 206-890-4188