[TowerTalk] Antenna grounding and more

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna grounding and more
From: Bill Blake <ka0vtg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 04:42:58 -0800 (PST)
A couple of questions for the group..  I have taken a few years away from the
hobby and am just now getting back into it ( it's amazing what you forget) ...

  Ground rods:  The distance between my tower and equipment ground will be 37.5
ft. I seem to remember something about ground loops (being bad) and if you
count the A/C electrical ground I will have three grounding points around my
house/ shack.  Any comments or suggestions?

  Rohn 25G tower:  I have acquired a 39' tower and plan on installing only a
G5RV dipole at this time, according to the Rohn website I only need to guy at
40 ft and above.  I realize that 39' is pushing the envelope but also assume
that Rohn has several safety factors computed into the standard.  With the
minimal wind resistance of the dipole I am hoping that the tower will not need
to be guyed any comments  or suggestions?  I have read several threads from
hams that want to elevate the guy points and I do not want to try this..

  Lightning protection:  Is a coax grounding point inside the shack enough or
is more required at the tower or both?  I live in the mid-west and we do tend
to get several lightning storms a year and I would prefer to be able to keep my
equipment working... How much protection is needed with out over killing the
potential problem?

  Thank you in advance for your comments and help...

http://mail.yahoo.com