Re: [TowerTalk] station grounding question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] station grounding question
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:47:48 -0500
Braid is a suitable RF grounding conductor only when
alternatives such as stranded wire or copper strap are subject
to flexure failures, such as grounding of swinging metal doors,
fence gates or movable components in vehicles.

Braid from RG-213 is a suitable RF grounding conductor only if
you do not remove the jacket from the cable.  After you
remove the jacket, the RF impedance of the braid increases
dramatically because all of the braid crossovers are no longer
under pressure.

A more appropriate equipment grounding conductor would be
stranded copper wire, 16 AWG or larger would be suitable.

Braid is something little girls do with their hair, it's completely
unsuitable as an RF grounding conductor except when no other
alternative is practical.

73!
Frank
W3LPL