Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing Help

To: "'K8RI on Tower talk'" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing Help
From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr." <w2ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:25:39 -0500
Jim,
On my thrust bearing (a ROHN TB-3 I think) I had a similar problem as it had
been locked in place for over 12 years!  It uses an Allen key type of bolt,
so after several applications of WD-40, I used a T-bar style Allen key to
open it.  It opened with a squeaky "pop" after I rocked it back a forth a
bit.
Now I keep the T-bar wrench up on the tower nested in a spare hole in the
flat top of the Rohn 25 tower top section and it is always ready and waiting
for use.
I do the same kind of thing with my van where I have a 1/2 inch ratchet
drive to raise and lower a 25 ft tubular tower on the van and a T-bar Allen
wrench for adjusting some permanently mounted Speed-Rail (TM) clamps also on
the van.

73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964