[TowerTalk] Beverage in woods tip

To: "towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage in woods tip
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 21:57:50 -0500
At WP3R I was never completely satisfied with a 200' beverage we had (that's
all the length we have to work with), in that it was crooked, wasn't a straight
line.  So, I ran a second one, about 220'.  I found they worked almost
identically.  So, a straight line or a little bit crooked may not make much, if
any, difference.

Second, in trying to get the new beverage straight, and using existing trees,
saplings, etc. for it, sometimes there wasn't a tree in quite the right place,
which leads to having a crooked beverage, which is what I was trying to avoid.
I thought of something and it works.  Tie a rope between two nearby trees --
one on each side of the track you're trying to stick to.  Get the rope up, say,
8-10'.  Run your beverage over the rope.  By doing this you can get the
beverage straight, even if there aren't trees on the beam heading you want --
as long as there are enough trees or other supports to the left and right of
the heading you want.

It's a simple thing but I hadn't heard of it or thought of it before.  73 -
Rich, KE3Q