Re: [TowerTalk] "GEE-WIZ IT WORKS"

To: "'J. Gordon Beattie, Jr.'" <w2ttt@arrl.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "GEE-WIZ IT WORKS"
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:18:45 -0600
Hi Gordon:

Well this one is probably an older one at least it looks
like it. Has analogue meter read out and is model MFJ-949B

Hope that helps. This tuner is rated at only 300W but it
seems to tune just about anything I have put in it so far
to 50 ohms and this FT-920 is very very picky.

Now antenna efficiency is quiet another story, it has
tuned some antennas for the transceiver's approval - that
wouldn't get out across the street (literally) but that
wasn't the tuners fault -

That was my own "special" form
of electromagnetic engineering.

"Put Up Listen See Who Answers"
"PULSWA Engineering" Hi Hi

  73 fer nw,
Bob AD5VJ

10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.n5iet.com/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

J.
> Gordon Beattie, Jr.
> Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 7:41 AM
> To: 'AD5VJ Bob'; towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "GEE-WIZ IT WORKS"
>

> Bob,
> I'm impressed by two elements of your email.
>
> 1. The antenna performance is very cool!  Telephone wire
is
> useful stuff!
>
> 2. You actually got that MFJ tuner to work?
>       I have several low-end MFJ tuners that work great,
but
> the 989D a
> friend of     mine has is JUNK!  Is this what you have?

> Observations:
>       1. His tuner couldn't dip the SWR anywhere on
40/20M
> with a 35 piece of wire.
>       2. The numbers at the end stops on the roller
inductor
> kept changing wildly.
>       3. As a "Legal Limit" tuner I would question
whether it
> would work given the
>               capacitor gap spacing.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts here?
>
> 73,
> Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
> 201.314.6964
> w2ttt@arrl.net
> w2ttt@att.com

AD5VJ Bob
> Sent: Thursday, 01 December, 2005 18:58
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: [TowerTalk] "GEE-WIZ IT WORKS"
>
> I'll be in the 160 meter contest with my brand new:
>   up in the air(sort of)
>   360'
>   end feed/bent/slopping/cattycornered
>   (and anything else it took to get it up)
>   semi-long wire
>   made from 6 conductor telephone wire
>   shorted at both ends
>
> I call it my "GEE-WIZ IT WORKS" antenna
>
> THANK GOD FOR MY MFJ-DELUXE VERSA TUNER 2
>
> I really didn't think it would work out but had to try
> something I was going crazy hearing everyone working Dx
on
> 160 and couldn't even get to Dallas on my 80 meter
inverted
> Vee even with the tuner.
>
> So I did all I could do:
>
> Used bailing wire I tied 7 20' water pipes at varying
> distances to my fence posts.
>
> Strung the telephone wire up at the top using more
bailing
> wire to hold it to the top of the poles.
>
> Ran the telephone wire into my shack to my tuner.
>
> Hooked the tuner to my FT-920 and prayed.
>
> Now the amazing part to me is:
>
> 1) Two days after I put it up we had a wind storm that
> knocked out power even as far as Dallas (the day of
> CQWW-CW) and the antenna is still standing just as I had
> put it up originally.
>
> 2) As I said I really was hoping to at least be able to
> talk to someone in Dallas or Ft Worth or even
Weatherford,
> but - so far I have been able to work 13 Dx stations on
it
> the farthest of which was Hawaii.
>
> Oh I know good conditions no doubt, but even so:
>
> I was amazed for 100W output and God only knows how
> *little* actually transmitted or what the pattern is
> (other then straight up Hi Hi)
>
> ((Next I try the metal flashing around the house Hi Hi))
>
> So no it isn't according to spec and it certainly isn't
> according to theoretical norms (in fact it is laughable)
but
> for what ever the reason is it seems to be enough to get
me
> some contacts.
>
> So I will be in the contest with a smile and looking
> forward to *any* contacts I can get.
>
> My first exploratory on the 160 meter band so I am
hoping
> to use the contest this go around as a means of giving
me
> a sort of "real-life" antenna pattern for it.
>
> IF YOU HEAR ME PLEASE WORK ME I WILL PUT YOU ON THE
> ANTENNA PATTERN CHART :0)
>

>   73 fer nw,
> Bob AD5VJ
>
> 10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
> http://www.n5iet.com/
> Code may be taking a back seat for now,
> but the pioneering spirit that put the code
> there in the first place is out front of it all.

> See: http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self Supporting
Towers",
> "Wireless Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll
Free,
> 1-800-333-9041 with any questions and ask for Sherman,
W2FLA.