[TowerTalk] Motor wiring

To: towertalk@contesting.com, earlbailley@centurytel.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Motor wiring
From: CubexCo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 22:15:29 EST
In a message dated 12/4/2005 8:18:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
The motor for the UST 4 72 raise/lower has eight wires exiting the motor
body.

Can anyone tell me  which wires go to AC thru reverse? I will sell the tower
and orion 2800 rotator when I get it down. Otherwise  I'll need to get a
crane to lay it down and work out a way to collapse the sections
AC motors have basically two windings, RUN and START, and that takes four
wires. For dual voltage (120/240VAC) there are two windings associated with
each
function.

Most motors have the color code and terminal references printed on the
connection cover plate.  Color codes can vary, but usually the RUN windings
will
have a BLACK and WHITE associtation, and ORANGE, RED and YELLOW, BLUE
combinations for other windings.  A simple OHM check can identify the IN and
OUT for each
winding.  The next step is to PAIR them correctly.  Note that leads from the
START winding will run to a internal centrifical switch, and also another clue
is these leads also are connected to the START Capacitor.  Check the
capacitor for color code of the start winding.  Hope this helps -
Good luck,

Norm W4QN