[TowerTalk] receivers for HF phased array

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] receivers for HF phased array
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:46:31 -0800
Folks, I'm looking for receivers for a HF phased array (they can be
transceivers, though).  Here's kind of what I'm looking for:

Something currently available new (no scrounging on E-bay or the TRW
swapmeet) and not a discontinued model. Less than $1K each, brand new.
Computer control via RS232 or similar interface to set the frequency. (with
a published control protocol! I don't want this to be a reverse engineering
exercise.)
SSB mode (i.e. I want to translate a slice of RF spectrum down to audio),
ideally with selectable IF bandwidth.
Needs to not require pushing any buttons to get it to work after applying
power. No selecting modes, etc., unless it can be done over the remote
control interface.
Decent selectivity and adjacent strong signal handling (that's where the
disputes will arise, no doubt).
Decent phase noise in the LO is a plus (makes calibration easier, and helps
with adjacent signal rejection)
Everything locked to a single oscillator in the receiver is a plus (makes
calibration easier). Even more of a plus is if I can modify it to accept an
external oscillator (of whatever frequency is needed).

Something where you can disable the AGC and manually ride gain is a plus.
(that way, all channels play the same)
Small and portable is a plus, but not essential.  I'd kind of like to avoid
the 6 foot rack of Racal or WJ intercept receivers though.

For reference, the baseline functionality is something like the ICOM
PCR1000, but if I could find something with better RF performance, it would
be nice.

Jim, W6RMK