Re: [TowerTalk] Radiation angle

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radiation angle
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:50:04 -0600
Got VOACAP also thanks

Looks like I just change the parameters in one of the
models that came with VOACAP and then save it as a new
file and it will be a "roll your own" after that.

HFTA I haven't found yet, 4nec2 is going to have a bit of
a learning curve but nothing I don't have the ability and
basic knowledge to conquer.

Maybe after Christmas I can afford the Antenna Hand Book,
used to have one years ago but all was lost about 15 years
ago.

Rebuilding, it will all come together though, thanks for
all your help fellows.

  73 fer nw,
Bob AD5VJ

10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.n5iet.com/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

Ian
> White GM3SEK
> Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 11:49 AM
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
> Cc: jimlux@earthlink.net
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radiation angle
>

> Jim Lux wrote:
>
> >>the professionals have
> >>known about this for generations, and now we have
those
> tools on our
> >>desktops. Most of the work has already been done for
us in the HFTA
> >>program and its propagation data files.
> >
> [...]
> >Providing you have a horizontally polarized antenna
(but
> many amateurs
> >DO have horizontally polarized antennas, so that's ok).
> >
> Extending HFTA to vertical polarization has to be top of
everybody's
> wish list... but the whole problem is much more affected
by ground
> conductivity and permittivity a long way out from our
> antennas. To do it
> accurately to be worthwhile, it might require more
> information than we
> can ever know.
>

> >VOACAP is also free, and a wonderful program to fool
with.

> It certainly shows that wave angles are a game of
statistics,
> varying on
> several different timescales at once: hour to hour, day
> day, month to
> month and year to year around the solar cycle.
>
> The Handbook shows wave angle statistics averaged across
a complete
> solar cycle, but I'm sure there's more to be gained by
running VOACAP
> oneself and digging into the detail.
>

> >There's been some fascinating work from Chris Coleman
in Australia on
> >using propagation models and lightning maps to work out
the spatial
> >distribution of atmospheric noise, which is almost as
important in
> >antenna pattern design as where the desired signal is
coming
> from.  In
> >fact, on the receive side, where the antenna isn't
sensitive is
> >probably more important than where it is.
> >
> That's a well known effect on 6m, where vertical
stacking
> distance can
> have a big effect on the total noise power received from
very high

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/stacking/stacking2.htm#50mh

> --
> 73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for
RadCom (RSGB)
> http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
>
> See: http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self Supporting
Towers",
> "Wireless Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll
Free,
> 1-800-333-9041 with any questions and ask for Sherman,
W2FLA.