Re: [TowerTalk] receivers for HF phased array

To: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] receivers for HF phased array
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:24:38 -0800
At 08:56 AM 12/10/2005, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
>Err, they've got USB to SDR-1000 parallel port adapters for sale on
>the FlexRadio web site, $59.  This one is designed for the purpose,

Indeed.. but you're still faced with the port enumeration problem (plug 4
of those into a hub, and which one is #1, #2, etc.).  Also, without knowing
more about the details (I'll talk to Flex) of the USB driver, it may not
necessarily be well behaved in this application.  The statement:

Specially designed USB to parallel port adapter for the SDR-1000. Custom
software offloads control processing from the PC to improve performance.

is "scary."

And, then, there's all the other potential problems (multiple instances of
PowerSDR, audio routing, etc.).

I'd rather spend my relatively few hours of available time working on
phased array software, not on radio software.  At the current time, the
SDR1000 isn't a "black box" radio with well defined inputs/outputs, unless
you packaged it with a standalone computer, and then, it's well over the
$1K/radio target price  (probably more like $900+$400).