Re: [TowerTalk] guy wire resonance

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guy wire resonance
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:01:25 EST
Dave, for those of us considering the heavy outlay for Phillystran,
describe for us the conditions under which your Phillystran was
"cut" by the ice storm.  You used the word, "cut", and I'm trying
to envision how ice would have caused a cutting.  A weight overload,
causing a bursting, yes, but a "cut" ?  Please help an ignorant fella
understand.
Phillystran is a huge investment.
If it is subject to loss from ice, that gives cause for concern
and maybe a need to rethink. Do you know how many pounds of
tension your Phillystran was under prior to the ice storm?

Why even think about spending copious quantities of money for Phillystran
when the alternative of fiberglass rod by Polygon is about 1/3 the price and
just
as strong.  Lots of guys, including myself, have been using this as an
alternative to EHS and Phillystran.  Utility companies are big users of the
stuff.
The last roll I got cost me $.50 per foot including shipping...and that was
for 5/16 rod.  Compare that to whatever outrageous amount they are now getting
for Philly.

Bill