Re: [TowerTalk] RFI and a new antenna

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFI and a new antenna
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 23:50:59 -0600
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 22:27:35 -0500, Peter Dougherty (W2IRT) wrote:

>it looks like
>I've just opened a can of RFI-flavored worms.

I would say that you simply have pin 1 problems in the gear that is
detecting the RF, and the antenna is now working well enough that
it's putting out enough RF to excite them. This MAY be complicated
by the lack of a balun (that is, the feedline is radiating), and I
would try to add a good one.

For RFI fixes to the computer and audio gear, and an explanation of
"pin 1 problems," see the RFI applications notes on my website.
Grounding is NOT your problem.

BTW - virtually ALL computer audio interfaces, most consumer audio
gear, and most ham gear, have what Neil Muncy would call
"screaming" pin 1 problems.

Jim Brown  K9YC