[TowerTalk] crankup use and winter maintenance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] crankup use and winter maintenance
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:10:01 -0500
As K8RI pointed out, it's a 'use it or lose it' proposition
with moving equipment.  Letting it sit in one place isn't a good idea.

However, I am surprised that nobody renewed the discussion about
treatment of the hoist cable.  Lube, etc., to keep water from
wicking into the wire rope, freezing and working.  The notion of
moving the tower up and down periodically not only spreads the
wear points out, it tends to remove foreign debris...dirt, water
and the like...from the wire rope.

I've had only two crankups...both tubular...and in both cases I've
treated the cable.  In one case, it was regular application of rustoleum.
In the other, it was a lube, the name of which I've completely forgotten.

I seem to recall that Steve had specific recommendations on that topic.

n2ea