[TowerTalk] SHUNT FEEDING A TOWER

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] SHUNT FEEDING A TOWER
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:22:29 -0500
EASY TO DO:

I favor a wire cage 12" on a side. Use 2x4's as standoff insulators.
Run the cage to the top of the tower. 2 or 3 standoffs will be fine.
I use 2' spacing from the tower. This keeps the cage from moving in
the wind. Ground the cage to the top of the tower. At the base, I use
a step-up L network to match the antenna to the coaxial cable. In
round numbers you are doing a 50 to 200 ohm transformation. Install radials.

Apply power from a radio or use an anaylizer of your choice. Tune the
coil and capacitor for minimal SWR. You are ready to go.

If you want to get two bands, use a DPDT switch, make another
matching network and you can get 80 on the same antenna.

The top loading will make a for an electrically "taller" antenna so
you should be good-to-go on both bands.

GL and Happy DX'ing to you and

Happy New Year to all Towertalkians!

73, Craig Clark, K1QX