Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaning inside tubing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cleaning inside tubing
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:25:06 -0000
I'm not sure of the construction on the xm240 but the 40-2cd had a common
problem that sounds like that.  They used a sheet metal screw to hold the
wire from the loading coil to the element and then put that shrink tubing
over it... unfortunately it didn't seal very well and eventually the screw
corrodes causing an intermittent.  The fix is to remove the end of the
shrink wrap, drill through the element and use a ss machine screw to secure
the end of the coil then seal with a better heat shrink that has the melting
goop in it.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net