Re: [TowerTalk] 6M noise-canceling antenna product?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6M noise-canceling antenna product?
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:28:37 -0800
At 02:11 PM 1/3/2006, Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO wrote:
>The MFJ-1025 and 1026 noise-canceling units don't work above 30 MHz. Does
>anyone know of a similar noise-phasing product that will work on 6M? (I
>suppose a lot of HF hams think "6M = VHF = quiet". Six is NOT a quiet
>band, especially if you live in or near a city, or even a residential
>neighborhood. Man-made QRN is horrendous on this band.)

The MFJ is basically an adjustable phase/amplitude shifter (with an active

Is the noise strong enough to cause IM problems in the mixer? (i.e. you've
got Channel 2 blasting away)

If not, it might be worth considering some sort of scheme where you have a
couple preamps (one on each antenna) and use an LC network to do the
phasing.  Or, even, a 90 degree hybrid (rat race with coax?) and a couple
pots to do the summing?

These days, too, you could probably find some nifty electronic multiplier
chips that would work.  Most MDACs have bandwidths >100 MHz these days.