[TowerTalk] DRIVEN VERSUS PARASITIC 160 antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] DRIVEN VERSUS PARASITIC 160 antenna
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 05:06:09 -0800 (PST)
Well, remotely adjustable elements would allow the optimizing of gain and f/b
across the band for a parasitic array....  It is certainly doable even on 160,
but is it necessary?
On 160 I rarely go above 040, or so... QSY over 40kc is not that hard to have
both gain and f/b stay good (not perfect, of course)...  In the rare
circumstance that I might want to go higher I know that the gain and f/b are
compromised...
When I want to go higher up in the band AND keep the gain and f/b, I walk out
to the arrays and remove one or more of the clipped on tips which retune the
array elements in 50kc steps...  Not very elegant, but really cheap and
effective...
I have actually cobbled up on the bench, an air powered knife switch to to
remotely control the element length... It works just fine, is not sensitive to
the high voltage RF fields at the ends of the elements, and is not too
expensive (relative term)... At this point in time I have no great urge to go
that that expense and work just for convenience... For a flagship M-M contest
station, the expense is justifiable...

Certainly, the driven 4 square arrays can be retuned with relays and
networks...

denny - k8do

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.