[TowerTalk] builders vs operators Re: HAMFESTS & Ham Businesses

To: kd4e@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] builders vs operators Re: HAMFESTS & Ham Businesses
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:23:13 -0800
At 12:11 PM 1/4/2006, kd4e wrote:
>My suggestion was that a business owner who found
>himself unable to locate a buyer might choose to
>make a donation to a non-profit as a tax write-off
>rather than have the technology disappear from the
>marketplace.
>
>I respect intellectual property and while it would
>seem selfish to hoard it (given no probablity of sale
>by oneself or to another) that is the right of its
>owner.
>
>The percentage of turnkey system ops vs those who
>build their own antennas and gear appears to be
>shrinking

Is it really?  I'd venture that back in the days, there were a fair number
of turnkey ops.
And these days, a lot of the building is spread out over more
disciplines.  Lots of folks writing DSP code, for instance.  Or building
microwave/2.4 GHz antennas.

It's true that there's fewer "tinkering with yagi" kinds of articles (or
manufacturers), but that might just be because Yagi technology (especially
with modern modeling tools) is fairly mature.  Those self same tools
prevent someone from claiming that they have a miraculous new design with
10 dB more gain.