Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Yagi - Height Recommendation

To: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,"TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Yagi - Height Recommendation
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:00:25 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:14 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80M Yagi - Height Recommendation

>I am planning to install a 2 el 80M Yagi.  Originally it was going on a 120
> foot Rohn 55G tower.  I now have some flexibility and can put it on a
> taller
> tower, up to 190 feet.  What are the recommended heights for this type of
> beam, and why?  Thanks in advance for your comments.
>
> 73, Keith NM5G

Keith,

Take a look at slide #4 in the following presentation from
N6BV. It shows elevation plots for several different 80
meter antennas (including a 3 element Yagi at 200') along
with angle of arrival statistics derived from VOACAP:

http://www.kkn.net/dayton2004/N6BV-Dayton-2004.pdf

Unless your concentrating on domestic operation out to
say less than a thousand miles, I'd don't think there would
be any performance advantage to going with the lower
height.

Nice problem to have. Enjoy!!