Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter yagi - Height recommendation

To: "M. Kent Miller" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter yagi - Height recommendation
From: "Rick Karlquist" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:26:21 -0800 (PST)
M. Kent Miller wrote:
> Keith,
> My 2 element 80 meter yagi is 130 feet up. It works very well at distances
> over 2500 miles, but not as effectively as my wire antennas for " local "
> ( inside USA ) use.
> My guess is that if it were lower, it would be more useable for short
> distances, but I didn' t install it to work locals, and I don' t imagine
> you have that in mind either, so I would say go as high as you can.
> 73,
> Kent - K4MK

I have A/B'ed 80 meter dipoles at 115 feet high vs 60 feet high.
The high one is ~10 dB better on DX and the low one is ~10 dB better
on locals (up to 150 miles or so).  A really low one (at 30 ft)
was also A/B'ed with the 60 footer and found to be several dB
better on locals than the 60 footer.

Rick N6RK