Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed Tower with Dyneema rope guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed Tower with Dyneema rope guys
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:16:48 +0200
Absolutely agree,

I am using Dynamix for guying my 150 feet tower with 2x3 el full size 40m
yagis and 4 large tribanders. Dynamix is a combination of Dyneema SK75 and
Aramid fibres (Kevlar) used in yachting. The high strength of both fibres is
blended with the low creep under constant load of Aramid, and the high
resistance to flex fatique of Dyneema. There is polyester outer cover on it
to protect the Aramid content from UV.

I use 10mm Dynamix that has breaking load of 4000 kg! I have about 25m of
upper and 15m of lower guy wires from the top of Dynamix, steel wires with a
few isolators after that to the ground. Tower is guyed at two levels.

They have held up perfectly for more than 3 years now with small creep that
has made me tighten the guy wires once I guess, no problem.

Dyneema (called Spectra in US) is in many ways superior to Kevlar:

Dyneema is stronger (higher breaking load)
Dyneema lasts longer
Dyneema weights less
Dyneema resists much better to UV light
Dyneema has lower dielectric constant (about 2.2 vs 3.8 for Kevlar)
Dyneema has excellent abrasion resistance, low moisture absorption, very low
elongation, excellent flex fatigue resistance

Two negative aspects are:

Dyneema has lower melting point (c.a. 150 degrees C vs 400 for Kevlar)
Dyneema exhibits something called CREEP -non-recoverable elongation when
constant load is applied for long time...but for late models and thicker
ropes this is almost nonexistent

Dyneema is UHMWPE that stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene.
Fibers are made from this material by AlliedSignal (SpectraR), DSM
(DyneemaR), Tenfor (SniaR), and Mitsui (TekmilonR). The molecular formula
for this polymer is the same as common polyethylene, but is significantly
different because of the very high molecular weight, from 10 to 100 times
higher than commercial polyethylene molding resin.

73
Tonno
ES5TV