[TowerTalk] HDX-555 (

Subject: [TowerTalk] HDX-555 (
From: Bill Ogden <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:00:21 -0500
I have the 55-foot crank-up, crank-over TX-455 with the standard winch and
a 3-element SteppIR on top (with an 8' mast, about 3.5 feet into the
tower).  It is a job to crank it up and down.  (Down is as much work as
up.)  I am not quite as young as I was a few years ago, and what strength I
have is not optimized for working a crank.  I can make the crank over (or
crank to vertical) in a single session.  (I made a sawhorse that holds the
end of the tower about 6' off the ground, allowing the beam to just touch
the ground.)  For vertical cranking, I need several short cranking
sessions.  I do not crank the tower down very often.  If I did, I would
probably adjust to the work a little better.  If I had known, I would have
opted for a crank with a somewhat higher ratio.

I do like the tower.  I have not climbed anything longer than a 7'
stepladder since installing it.  I have a can of cold galvanizing spray
that I use for small touch-up when the tower is down, and I spray the
proper lube on the cable at the same time.

Bill   W2WO