Re: [TowerTalk] screw anchors

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] screw anchors
From: "Pat Barthelow" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:56:44 -0800
Pete, N4ZR Said:
>It's probably worth pointing out that ANY anchor scheme that relies on
>galvanized steel hardware below ground is exposed to the same potential for
>galvanic action; some pretty serious tower people around here make it a
>practice to coat any galvanized hardware that will be below ground with
>asphalt roofing cement before installing it.
>73, Pete N4ZR

Thanks for that info Pete.   I wonder if there is a problem with coating the
undergroud portion, if you do not have a PERFECT insulative seal with the
coating, if the very small, say, pinhole that remains exposed, causes a high
density of galvanic current, attacking the metal at a point location, that
will hasten the erosion at a single point, compared to a large area of steel
that might be attackeed more gradually.
73, de Pat AA6EG