[TowerTalk] Screw Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Screw Anchors
From: Phil Camera <kb9cry@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:04:18 -0600
I'm sure screw anchors do have a place somewhere.  And some folks have
successfully used them to hold up amateur radio towers with antennas on them.
However, and even if you use deadman concrete anchors, since we're dealing with
tall structures that can cost much money if they fall, and worst if they fall
on something or someone, every installation should be evaluated by an
experienced civil/structure person who has knowledge of the local conditions.
Many times a screw anchor is an option, many times it may not be.  But if you
can read between the lines of Jim's comments below, yes they may hold up power
poles, but are those the same as radio towers with antennas?  We all make our
own decisions.  Phil  KB9CRY

The power company uses them for power poles/lines on ALL corners and they
sure expect them to last a long time and not need significant maintenance.
Would seem to me what they consider the best thing for what they are using
them for and they have a LOT of experience.  They HOLD.

73, de Jim KG0KP