Re: [TowerTalk] Advice for a winch for 40 ft rohn 25 tiltbase tower

To: "'David Hachadorian'" <>,"'Tower Talk List'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Advice for a winch for 40 ft rohn 25 tiltbase tower
From: "Tod" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:27:19 -0600
> So you need, as a minimum, a brake winch with 686 lb
> capacity, and a cable length of about 40', allowing for at
> least one turn on the drum before tension is applied.
> Go to and search on "brake winch"
> You can get the DLB 800 for $60 (+cable) or the K1550 for $84
> (+cable) I think I would get the K1550.

I like your providing him with the analysis of what the individual and
combined forces/tensions would be Dave.

The WG2000 from the same source is $77.80 and is a worm gear winch with 40:1
turns ratio. None of us is getting younger and having something that cuts
the cranking force by a factor of 5 or so might be of interest. In addition,
the worm gearing provide breaking that you don't have to think about.

(yes, I have a worm gear winch to tilt and raise my 48 foot tower. I even
have the crank driven by a small, reversible motor (home brew project) so I
can watch is go up and down without spending any 'sweat equity')