Re: [TowerTalk] Advice for a winch for 40 ft rohn 25 tiltbase tower

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Advice for a winch for 40 ft rohn 25 tiltbase tower
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:46:20 -0000
From: "Tod" <tod@k0to.us>
To: "'David Hachadorian'" <k6ll@adelphia.net>; "'Tower Talk List'"
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:27 PM
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Advice for a winch for 40 ft rohn 25 tiltbase
tower

> So you need, as a minimum, a brake winch with 686 lb
> capacity, and a cable length of about 40', allowing for at
> least one turn on the drum before tension is applied.
>
> Go to www.grainger.com and search on "brake winch"
>
> You can get the DLB 800 for $60 (+cable) or the K1550 for $84
> (+cable) I think I would get the K1550.

I like your providing him with the analysis of what the individual and
combined forces/tensions would be Dave.

The WG2000 from the same source is $77.80 and is a worm gear winch
with 40:1
turns ratio. None of us is getting younger and having something that
cuts
the cranking force by a factor of 5 or so might be of interest. In
addition,
the worm gearing provide breaking that you don't have to think about.

That WG2000 is a nice looking winch for $78. It holds 82' of 7/32
cable.

If you had about 100' of cable, you could cut the raising forces even
more by doing the following:

1. Mount the pulley 5' up on the tree.
2. Loop the cable through a pulley 20' up the tree.
3. Loop the cable through another pulley attached 20' up the tower.
4. Attach the cable firmly to the tree, just above the tree pulley.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.