Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham Verticals - Thanks

To: "'Lee Buller'" <k0wa@swbell.net>,"'TowerTalk Reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham Verticals - Thanks
From: "K6XN" <k6xn@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:28:30 -0800
Lee

For whatever it is worth I have had pretty good success over the years using
*elevated* Butternut HF-2V verticals either individually or in steerable
four square phased arrays. If you can do it I recommend you elevate the
HF-2V approximately 20 feet above the ground and try it with four *elevated*
radials, each radial a little more than a quarter wavelength long and
elevated approximately 20 feet.

If you have the same experience as I have had over the years you will really
be impressed at the superior performance as compared to ground
mounting...particularly for DX.

73 and good luck, Ted, K6XN

Ps FYI I plan to install four (4) elevated Butternut HF-2V antennas in a
four square array at my summer QTH in the Sierras at CM99 later this year. I
already have the Rohn tower sections and the four Butternut HF-2V antennas
and phasing lines on site...I still need to chainsaw and clear a few more
trees to have a large enough clearing in the forest on the mountain top for
the array. Hopefully we will have it up and running this summer. We
currently have a 270 foot loop at 60 feet up for 75 meters and one Butternut
HF-2V elevated vertical on site up there elevated with two Rohn 25 tower
sections. The loop works great for west coast ragchewing but the single
elevated Butternut HF-2V with four radials so far beats the loop every time
for DX. The antenna site up there is located on top of a 5000 foot mountain
in the middle of a forest in a wilderness area.

Pps Occasionaly HF-2V antennas show up at swap meets and on E-Bay at very
reasonable prices....sometimes as low as $50. I have seven so far.....The
first two I purchased new at retail prices and the next five were
bargains......