Re: [TowerTalk] HyTower leg insulators

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyTower leg insulators
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:39:09 -0500
Delrin is very easy to machine and mechanically stable unlike Teflon, but I
don't know about its resistance to UV.  "I think" it's pretty good.  I used
to make bearings out of the stuff.  It's much better than Nylon or
Polyethylene although not nearly as strong as fiberglass. OTOH in your
installation it doesn't need to be.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

There was a note a few weeks ago on this reflector ( I think) discussing the
replacement of the leg insulator on the HyTower. Someone suggested making
replacements from Delrin (Delran?). I think they gave a source of the
material. Can anyone point me to where I can find something on the web.

Thank goodness the insulators lasted until 23:15 UTC of the second day of
the CQ 160. However, ARRL DX is fast approaching.

Thanks for any help on the Delrin. I do have spares of the regular type of
HyGain HyTower leg insulator. (And no, I do not run QRO --- strictly legal
1.5 KW output or less if the band has limitations).

Tod, KØTO