Re: [TowerTalk] Tower climbing is dangerous business

To: "K8RI on Tower talk" <>,"David Jordan" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower climbing is dangerous business
From: "Michael Tope" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 01:51:23 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <>
To: "David Jordan" <>; <>
Cc: <>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:14 PM
>> Makes sense...I was speaking to a fella working on a 400ft self
>> supporting tower in Maryland. The State Police are revamping the entire
>> network and these 400ft towers are going up all over the place.
>> None of the guys on the tower spoke english.
> This was my thought. The industry is growing so fast that they are hiring
> minimially (*trained*?) climbers and the safety record is not really
> representative of tower climbing in general.  Given, it's a risky business
> and unforgiving as if flying. In my opinion,  I just think the figures are
> skewed due to a lot of new, poorly trained climbers.

Its probably in the archives, but a somebody posted a message a
while back describing the hideous working conditions and time
pressure that "professional" tower installers work under. I seem to
recall that the guy who made the posting had done it for a while
and then decided it wasn't worth the risk.