Re: [TowerTalk] LOOKING FOR A USED CRANK UP SELFSUPPORTINGTUBULARTOWER

To: rmoodyg@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LOOKING FOR A USED CRANK UP SELFSUPPORTINGTUBULARTOWER
From: "darrel" <darrel@vanbuer.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 09:37:12 -0800
It also shows straight bolts on their foundation drawings.

But they DO have a nut and washer welded? on the end to keep it embedded.

I have no idea whether epoxying a straight rod into a drilled hole has the
same pullout resistance as a J-bolt or nut and washer (it's not enough that
the epoxy is stronger than concrete - it's adhesion to the bolt is critical -
rebar is bumpy so that the concrete gets a good grip), but a couple of these
bolts do take the entire uplift force on the upwind side with a 70 foot long
lever arm (rough estimate 20,000 pounds per bolt, a good fraction of it's
breaking strength).
My guess (but I have no structural qualifications), is that the J bolt  (or
washered straight bolt) snaps long before you could pulverize enough concrete
to pull it out.
As to the change - I'd guess the found the price of J bolts higher than the
current choice and either way pullout wasn't the first failure.
  Darrel AK6I